First of all, HELLO! Shame on me for not doing a blog post in the last few months! Things have been so busy with my photography business, traveling and being preggo with a 3 year old. I have been loving life and cooking a ton but just not enough time to blog it and take pictures. I promise I will do better with that, especially since my slow season is approaching and I will have more time.
I was asked yesterday to make some gluten free brownies, and since I didn’t have any of the GF Betty Crocker Boxed stuff, I had to make it from scratch. Now, I actually have never attempted to make gf brownies from scratch before. So I looked for some recipes that included Pamela’s Pancake and Baking Mix since that is what we had on hand and after many searches finally found a basic recipe! I even tried this recipe once with the Pancake Baking Mix, and once with Pamela’s All Purpose Bread Flour. The bread flour recipe was disgusting and did not turn out anything like brownies should be. I ended up throwing them out and not even taking a picture of the results. They were spongy, and pretty much inedible.
So on to the successful brownies! These aren’t as “cakey” as a cake, but definitely softer with a bit of “fudginess” to them. Definitely not the chewy kind that I love. My husband said that he liked them, and I thought they were pretty good. My mom decided to make her own chocolate frosting and top her piece with it.
I am still on the look out for a chewy and fudgy gluten free brownie recipe. When I figure one out or find one- I will definitely share that with you!
But for now, these are fantastic and are bake up pretty quickly. Give them a try and if you make a modification that works better for you let me know!
This recipe originally made 1 8×8 pan of brownies. I doubled the recipe and baked in a 9×13 pan.
|Basic Gluten Free Brownie Recipe||
- 2 1/2 cups Pamela's Baking and Pancake Mix
- 2 cups sugar
- 12 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons gf vanilla extract
- 1 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix all ingredients together until there are no lumps (I used the kitchen aid).
- Pour into greased 9x13 pan. (I used a glass dish. Dark pans will cook faster).
- Bake for 35 minutes or when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- *Dont over-bake, check sooner rather than later.
- *Options: Add 1/2 cup nuts, 1/2 cup chocolate chips, 1/2 teaspoon mint extract, caramel drizzle, etc! Have fun with it!